One-day gliding courses
Our one-day gliding courses are designed for people that would like to sample gliding in more detail than a first flight experience would allow. Or alternatively have a days intensive training at any level.
Your day begins at the front office, where our friendly staff will ask you to fill in some simple paperwork and show you a video about airfield safety. At the launch area, your instructor will give you a briefing on the glider and the flights ahead.
Depending on the weather, you will launch either by aerotow behind a powered aircraft, or take a winch launch. It is important to note that the weather determines the method of launch. After release from the winch or tow aircraft, your qualified instructor will demonstrate the flying controls, and explain how the glider can stay airborne using lift generated by the sun and wind.
All our instructors are trained to the standards set by the British Gliding Association. The training standard is rigorous. You can be assured that your instructor will look after you before, during and after your flights.
Your one-day course includes one month’s Club Membership. Within that time, you can return to the Club and fly with us as many times as you like, paying only Club Members' flying rates.
The course includes:-
- Pupil to Instructor ratio of 2:1
- A morning briefing covering the basics of flight
- A Guarantee of three flights (or over an hour of flying across one or two flights)
- Debriefing at the end of the day
- 1 month membership of the Yorkshire Gliding Club (from the date of the first flight)
- British Gliding Association training cards
- If you choose to become a full Club member on the day, you'll receive our first year membership offer for £330.00
Please complete the online course application form using the link below, we will contact you once we have received your form, to arrange a date for your course and take payment. Please note: day courses are only available mid-week, we do not run them on weekends.