Sunday 19th to Monday 20th May 2024

Posted: 21/05/2024 18:03

Sunday 19th.  The light to moderate N'ly flow continued, but this time not accompanied by low cloud so flying got underway around 1030 hrs and continued until around 1630, with 28 ATs flown off runway 02.  The day proved to be limited in soaring terms with only 5 of the day's flights exceeding 30 minutes, with 4 of these over an hour.  Bob Calvert in his Discus 2t had the longest flight of the day, 2:48, contacting  wave 2,5km to the WNW of site and climbing to 5,500' asl over Black Hambleton, via an intermediate climb to 3,000' asl to the N of Thirsk, before returning to site via Tontine.  Bob's photo from his flight shows the short wavelength of the wave which was around 2.5 km and aligned NW/SE.


Steve Thompson in his Ventus 2bt was another pilot to contact the wave after surviving a low point soon after take off.  Steve also found his best climb over Black Hambleton, this time to 5,200' asl and then went E to just N of Churchhouses before landing back at site after just over 2 hours.  John Ellis in his DG800 had just over an hour, finding some weak wave in the Knayton area that kept him at 2,200' to 2,500' asl for the majority of his flight.  The only other flight of over an hour was by Barry Kerby, solo in his DuoDiscus t.  His 1:23 flight took him down to the Easingwold area, with the weak thermals having to be augmented by a number of engine burns to get him back to site, while later, Barry's fellow visitor, Barry Monslow, had a flight in his LS8-18t which lasted 38 minutes, the result of a high tow and a weak thermal towards the end of the flight.  The longest flight in a club glider was by Sarah Stubbs and one of the day's 7 First Flight pupils, 27 minutes in K21 JVZ.

Monday 20th.  The N'ly flow continued but had declined in strength to become light, the skies remaining cloudy but with the cloud base rising sufficiently by late morning to allow flying to commence.  19 ATs were subsequently flown off runway 02, including 1 for a First Flight pupil, with 6 flights exceeding an hour.  Soaring conditions proved to be very patchy with most of the pilots with engines using them at some point during their flights, with multiple use in some cases. The 5 private owner launches provided 5 of the > an hour flights, the remaining one being by Bas Sonneveld in Astir DPO, who had a max altitude  of 3,100' asl as he soared locally for 1:25.  Two pilots had over 2 hours, Bob Calvert in his Discus 2t, 2:25 and Andy Balkwill in his LS8-18t with 2:18.  Bob visited Cowesby Bowl and the Ripon area, aided by his engine on both outward and return legs of his flight,  while Andy visited Tontine, Carlton Bank and Ingleby Bowl, again with some engine assistance.  Barrys Kerby and Monslow also used the engine of Barry K's DuoDiscus t in twice visiting the N ridge of the North York Moors between Tontine and Carlton Bank in their 1:52 flight, while Dean Crosby's 2 hrs in  his LS10t is something of a mystery due to a bad flight trace.  Visitor Neil Croxford's flight in his LS8-18t was much easier to follow as he stayed local for just over an hour.  Best altitudes on the day were around 2,800' to 3,500' asl while the best of the club 2 seater flights saw Guy Hartland, first with Tony Kirby and then with Steve Morgan, have 24 minutes each.      

This blog describes a snippet of life at the Yorkshire Gliding Club. Why not take a flight and try it yourself, or we can teach you to fly as a full club member.

Back to Blog index