Wednesday 28th September to Monday 3rd October

Posted: 03/10/2016 20:33

Wednesday 28th.  A warm and cloudy, SW'ly airstream opened the day, this increasing to become moderate to fresh by end of flying having veered into the WSW.   A mixture of launch methods were utilised, providing 6 off the winch and 20 via AT.  The day's 26 launches led to 11 flights of over an hour and a further 9 over 3o minutes as hill lift and wave lift were used to soar.    In total, 11 private owners launched, mainly via AT, but Graham Morris in his ASW27 recorded the longest and highest flight of the day and that off the winch,  with a flight time of 5:13 and a peak altitude of 6,400' asl.  Graham Stanford, visiting from the Staffordshire GC had 4:30 off an AT in his Ka6, with another Staffordshire visitor, Eric Noble, having 2:08 in his own glider while YGC's Martyn Johnson had 2:31 in his DG600.    Another pilot to exceed 2 hours was Jesper Mjles with 2:03 in his DG400 while visitor Paul Crump came close with 1:58 in  the club Discus.  Wave played a part in a number of flights with Andy Parish and Chris Jones getting to 4.600' asl in their 50 minute flight in K21 KLW.  A number of 2 seater flights broke the 1 hour mark, these including Bob Beck and Steve Ball with 1:05 in the DG1000, Steve Thompson and Barry Ogleby with 1:01 in K21 JVZ and Andy Parish and Ron Linton with exactly an hour in KLW.   The 2 seaters were also kept busy with 6 First Flight pupils.

Thursday 29th.  A front crossed the site around 1100 hrs, the clearing and essentially sunny skies in its wake being accompanied by a fresh W'ly that gusted into the mid 40 kts, preventing any flying from taking place.

Friday 30th.  The wind had declined to become a light to moderate SW'ly, this later veering into the W, the airstream containing more than a few showers.  In spite of this, 19 ATs were flown, predominately in 3 of the club 2 seaters, although the club Discus was also flown, as were 3 private gliders.  The first flight of the day found strong lift under a 1400' QFE cloud base and the combination of hill lift and wave resulted in 16 of the 19 ATs exceeding 30 minutes, with 5 greater than an hour, visitor Graham Morris again topping  the endurance and height lists with 3:45 in his ASW27, during which time he reached 8,000' asl.  CFI Andy Parish recorded two climbs to around 7,000' asl, first with Mr Jinn in K21 KLW and then with First Flight pupil Robert Boon in the DG500, both flights being around 40 minutes duration.  Steve Thompson in his Discus was another pilot to exceed 3 hours, while visitor Graham Stamford had a combined duration total of just under 4 hours in his first flights in a Discus, the total being  off 2 flights, both resulting from tows to 5,000'.  Soaring conditions persisted until the end of flying for the day, as shown by John Marsh and Chris Jones who had 59 minutes in the DG500 off the last flight of the day, landing at 1830 hrs.

Saturday 1st October.  Saturday dawned cloudy but bright, the light to moderate E'ly soon backing into the N as a shallow depression moved eastwards across the south of the UK providing some showers later in the day.  21 ATs were flown, mainly in the club 2 seaters, as 7 Scouts and 4 First Flight pupils were introduced to gliding.  Soaring conditions were at a premium, but Rob Bailey in his ASG29 and Graham Morris in his ASW27 both managed flight times of over 30 minutes, Rob even managing to visit a few nearby TPs and record a distance of 37 kms in his flight of 51 minutes.  Jamie Quartermaine, flying one of the Scouts in K21 KLW, just managed to get to 30 minutes on a day that was essentially for circuits but contained a brief soaring window around midday.

Sunday 2nd.  A report of the activities on Sunday will follow later.

Monday 3rd.  A light to moderate SE'ly blew under sunny skies, as a ridge of high pressure covered most of the UK, the wind slowly backing into the ESE over the course of the day.  Early morning fog in the Vale of York soon evaporated,  its poor visibility being replaced to the N of the site by smoke from a number of heather fires, visibility otherwise being excellent.  17 ATs were flown off runway 20 with both K21s and Astir KRN being utilised.  Ragged Cu, with a base around 800' QFE, started to form late morning over the Vale of York to the south of the site, and around 1300 hrs these had developed sufficiently to provide Peter Wright in the Astir with a soaring opportunity, cloud base having risen to around 2,300' QFE.  Peter made use of this soaring window for just over an hour before the Cu started to decay and disappear, all subsequent flights finding only weak remnants that did not allow any one to get to 30 minutes of flying time.  Bryn Evans, flying the Astir after Peter, got closest with 27 minutes, while even the two Mile High flights of the day, both flown by George Rowden in K21 KLW, managed only around 25 minutes flying time.

This blog describes a snippet of life at the Yorkshire Gliding Club. Why not take a flight and try it yourself, or we can teach you to fly as a full club member.

Back to Blog index