Tuesday 29th May to Sunday 3rd June

Tuesday 29th.  The start of flying was delayed until just before lunch by a low overcast in a light to  moderate  WSW’ly flow, but the morning was profitably spent as Ken Arkley to give a presentation on Gliding to a visiting group from the Pinderfields Hospital.  The cloud then started to break and lift, allowing the visitors to getflying via the club’s 4 two seaters , the more adventurous taking to aerobatics withDick Cole and Mike Smith while some also tried out their flying skills  on the simulator.   Caterer Brian provided a steak lunch for the visitors withflying continuing in the afternoon resulting in a busy day with 30 ATs flown and some usable convection after lunch as the cloud continued to break and lift.  This enabled Peter Clay in his Ventus to show everybody else  how it was done withaflight of 3:25.  This was only 1 of 3 flights to exceed an hour, with Jack McGregor taking A Carpenter for 1:22 in the DG500 later in the day.  Resh Khobacous had the  only single seater flights of the day, having 26 minutes in the Astir of his first launch and following that up with 80 minutes of his second to record his first Bronze C endurance leg, so well done Resh.   Some of the flying Doctors are shown on the following photograph.



Wednesday 30th.  The wind had become light and variable, but the mainly cloudy skies meant soaring opportunities were relatively limited, only 2 of the day’s 16 ATs exceeding an  hour.  Both of these were by private owners, Rob Bailey having 1:17 in his ASG 29t and Phil Lazenby having 1:15 in the first flight in his recently acquired Pegase.  Club glider flying was limited to the K21s and the Ka8 with M Cox having 37 minutes flying the K21 solo and Ian Plant taking K Ridley, the only Trial Lesson pupil of the day, for 33 minutes, also in the K21. 

Thursday 31st.  Early rain followed by frequent showers meant this was a non- flying day.

Friday 1st June.  A light wind from the E’ly quadrant was accompanied by a low overcast, and although the day remained dry, no flying was possible.  However, it was a day for celebration as John Ellis and assistants completed the job of replacing the lower half of the doors of Hangar No 1, the completed repairs being shown on the following photograph.  Given that the task of  repairing the doors coincided with John having an operation on his shoulder as well as  back problems, congratulations on a job well done are well deserved.


Saturday 2nd June.  The cool cloudy conditions in the predominately light to moderate E’ly flow continued so flying was confined to the simulator.  The opportunity was however taken for Terry Jones, Station Commander of RAF Linton on Ouse, to scatter the ashes of Moyra Johnson, the YGC’s much beloved, past President, on the airfield. 

Sunday 3rd June.  The light E’lyflow continued to bring in a low overcast, but the rain which affected the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee river pageant and much England and Wales stayed just to  the southof the site.  The cloud base slowly rose during the day so that flying, albeit circuits, commenced around 1400 hrs and continued to just before 1700 hrs, in which time 8 ATs were flown  utilising 2 of the club’s two seaters.  John Carter and P Molloy posted the longest flight of the day, 25 minutes in the DG1000.  The club welcomed members and gliders from the Vintage Gliding Club for their week long UK National Rally  and the day was also marked by a flypast by a Tucano from RAF  Linton on Ouse piloted by Flight  Lieutenant  John Trueman in honour of past President Moyra Johnson.